gototopgototop
  1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>


Famous places in Lviv

PDF Print E-mail

Written by Administrator

Posted on 26 March 2011

Last Updated 28 March 2011

Famous places in Lviv

The construction of Rynok SquareRynok Square, started by order of Kazimer III in 1349, was commissioned from German craftsmen, who followed the plan of a traditional German town: a central square followed by living quarters surrounded in turn by defences. It was built following the lay-out of a typical Western European town with the center being a rectangular square 140 m * 130 m/ The Town hall became the center of the Rynok Square and 44 houses of various architectural styles, representing different periods were built around it. From each corner of rynok there sprang two streets segmenting the town and drawing up a grid of streets.
The name of the Square came from the word ring: a circle or an enclosed space, which was later transformed into “Rynok”. Here the city nobility and the rich lived. After the conflagration of 1527 the Square was rebuilt in the Renaissance style, which came to Lviv in the second half of the 16th century. Most of the buildings were designed by Italian architects; each of them had its unique architectural pattern and its own colour. They have mostly preserved their original appearance despite later alterations and additions. An adornment In 1793 four fountainfountain swith were constructed, one in each corner of the square which served as wells and pools.
In accordance with an old rule, merchants, craftsmen and doctors were allowed to construct buildings with no more than three windows on the facade; the right to have five or six windows was reserved for the aristocracy and the clergy.

Throughout the centuries Rynok square was the political, cultural and trade centre of the city the square witnessed celebrations and processions, uprising, riots and executions. In 1944 it was a battlefield of World War II.
Today the Rynok square is the open area museum where each of 44 its buildings has his own story. Many interesting museums and galleries are located here. It is the hurt of Lviv where all celebrations and main cultural, holydays, political and other events have take place. The rynok square it’s a place must to see in Lviv.


The Latin Cathedral Latin Cathedral of Virgin Mary's Dormition dominates most of the Catedralna Square.
It was built in 1350-1493. The building process lasted more than one lifetime, and many of the builders had not lived to see their work finished.
The Cathedrals lancet arcs and vaults with cupola ribs impress with their grandeur. The walls and vaults are covered with mu¬rals by S. Stroinski (1775) and the stained-glass windows are based on Matejko’s sketches.
Most of the territory around the Cathedral was once occupied by the cathedral cemetery. According to some researchers, it dated back to the 14th century. The Cathedral has eight chapels, each unique in its own way. Still, what they all have in common is the great number of tombstones, epitaphs, icons, carvings and other works of art. The most famous are the Kampians chapel and the Boims chapel.



The Lychakiv Cemetery is one of most beautiful and old necropolis and the one of the largest Cemeteries known in Europe. It has been functioning since1786. Lychakiv is located on the picturesque hills and is surrounded by rich verdure that provides a good framing for the chapels, tombstones and graves most of which have architectural value. As early as in the 16 century there was the burial place for the deceased due to devastators. The cemetery is open for locals of Lviv’s center and Lychakiv since all the kirk-yards were eliminated after demolition of the old defense walls.
In 1875, Lychakiv Cementery was improved and fenced with brick walls lasted out till present, two main ashlar gates were constructed in the neo-Gothic style.
In 1975, the cemetery was closed for mass burial and in 1990 was announced the historical and architectural conservancy area; in a year Pahorb Slavy (Fame Hill) military cemetery was merged into Lychakiv Cemetery. Lychakiv Cemetary and Necropolis occupies the area of 42 ha with about 300,000 graves spread over 86 fields. You can see very beautiful Monuments and grave-stones belonged to the chisel of the best sculptors of different periods such as
G. Vitver; P. Evtel; G. Perje. Among those buried here are many prominent Ukrainian, Polish, German, Austrian, Armenian men and woman. Between Ukrainians are Ivan Franko, Markian Shashkevych, Volodymyr Barvinskyi, Solomia Krushelnytska….



The center of Armenian community in Lviv was Virmenska street known since the 14thcentury The natives of the Caucasus first came to Lviv in the 13th century They were hired by prince Lev to join his military services. Since that Lviv Armenian colony became one of the largest in European after those in Venice and Amsterdam. Armenian wished to recreate part of their motherland here and built one of the most beautiful churches – the Armenian Cathedral Armenian Cathedral ( the blessed Virgin’s Assumption Cathedral).this in one of the most exotic building of Lviv that goes back to the 14th century when Lviv became the capital of Armenian episcopate.



The Bernardine CathedralBernardine Cathedral, now the Greek-Catholic Church of St. Andrew is a perfect example of Lviv architecture of late renaissance. Lviv Bernardines came to town around 1460.
In 1630, the new cathedral was finished and a defense monastery was built on its northern side. The monastery was of particular strategic importance. Outside its walls, originated the most dreadful Hlyniansky Way which was used by Tatar hordes and Turkish armies to invade the town. The walls of the monastery were the first to come under enemy attacks.
The three-storied facade of the St. Andrew's Church fascinates with its embellishment. All in all, there are more than twenty various sculptures.
The monastery building complex is supplemented with a tall baroque bell-tower built in 1734 which is an adornment not only to the cathedral, but to the whole city.



The Museum Of Folk Architecture and Household - Shevchenkivsky Hay Shevchenkivsky Hay skanscenery is located in the open area territory was founded in 1971. Nowadays, it is the Museum with area of 50 ha exhibits On the territory of museum completed a number of micro-village each consist of about 15-20 architectural object, which perfectly combine with landscape. 120 monuments of folk architecture from Boykivsky Region, Lemkivski Region, Zakarpattya, Hutsylshchyna, Bykovuna, Lviv Region and Podillya. In housing, household and ritual buildings and constructions the different close, instrument of productions, household articles, agricultural implements, transport conveyance are exhibit. You can also see the old school with special desk for trouble-maker, ancient apiary, and even the old kennel in this museum. All this things reflect the real life of Ukrainians in villages in 18-20 cc. The oldest exhibit of the open – air museum is a rural house of 1749 from Lviv region. The most valuable is the masterpiece of world wooden building, The church from Kryvky village, this Ukrainian church was built in 1763.

Ukraine - Lviv

Site Navigator

  1. Home
  2. Ukraine
  3. lviv
  4. Famous places in Lviv

Free ads

 

Free ads in USA

News of our site

Stenaldersboplatsen i Saivaara
Stenaldersboplatsen i Saivaara
HAPARANDA Stenaldersboplatsen i Saivaara The settlement of the Stone Age Saivaara The settlement of the Stone Age Saivaara, located in the north of Haparanda. This is one of the largest and most interesting Stone ...
Read More 2412 0

The Dark Of The Sun
The Dark Of The Sun
The Dark Of The Sun [047-066-4.8]By:  Wilbur SmithCategory:  Fiction ThrillerSynopsis:The bend in the road rushed towards them, just a few more seconds. Thenwith a succession of jarring crashes that shook the whole body ...
Read More 2954 0

Cave Eisriesenwelt
Cave Eisriesenwelt
Eisriesenwelt - is the barley in Austria and the world system of ice caves. In translating the name of the cave means "giant ice world." The caves are located in the Alps, near the city of Salzburg. They are open to tourists. The ...
Read More 6513 0

Museum Seurasaari
Museum Seurasaari
Museum Seurasaari On the island of Seurasaari whose length is approximately 3 km, is a museum under the open sky. It was founded in 1909 in order to preserve the ...
Read More 3462 0

A Time To Die 1
A Time To Die 1
Wilbur Smith - C07 A Time To DieShe had sat for well over two hours without moving, and the need to do so was an almost unbearable affliction.  Every muscle in her body seemed to quiver with the craving for movement.  Her ...
Read More 7390 0