Museum "Palais AD Menshikov "
(Sector Division of Russian cultural history of the Hermitage)
Address: 199034, St. Petersburg, VO, Universitetskaya Embankment, 15
Phone: (812) 323-11-12
Mode of operation: Daily from 10.30 to 18.00, the fund closed at 16.30, except Monday

The palace of Prince Alexander Menshikov, was founded on Vasilevsky Island in 1710 and gradually built over seventeen years. Status of the first governor of St. Petersburg Menshikov obliged to many things, including in terms of construction and decoration of his house, which was to serve both residential and administrative functions. Accordingly, in the process of erecting a palace and its interiors were used for all the latest achievement in that time, construction and art. In the decoration used marble, decorative painting and sculpture, Italian sculpture - an ancient and modern, carved wood and dialer, the Russian stove tiles and painted tile Dutch cobalt, painted and embossed leather, textiles and woolen tapestries.

The resulting magnificent palace was the center of the capital's cultural life. In its rooms you can find a collection of sculpture, painting, applied art, books and numismatics. Among all this luxury and beauty were the first in St. Petersburg gala receptions and festivities.

After the disgrace and exile of Menshikov palace was handed over to the First Cadet Corps, and all property confiscated by the disgraced prince in the royal treasury. The palace was rebuilt on its territory, a museum was created Cadet Corps, which existed until 1924.

The original look was returned to the palace during the restoration work started in the 60s. In 1981 the brilliant Menshikov Palace re-opened its doors. The first visitors to the restored Palace Museum, as well as those who come there now, can see it restored the original interior - the lobby and main staircase, the Maritime Area, Walnut cabinet, amazingly beautiful Chinese cabinet, reception room, bedroom, dining room ... A special delight cause the room is completely decorated blue and white Dutch tiles.

The exposition of the museum includes everyday objects and works of art in the late XVII - the first third of XVIII century. And besides, some preserved memorabilia that belonged to Prince Menshikov and the emperor Peter I, most of these items were selected from the collections of the Hermitage.