gototopgototop
  1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Main page

Boulevard Ring

Written by Administrator

Posted on 05.07.12

Last Updated 05.07.12

PDFPrintE-mail

Boulevard Ring

It happened at Christmas 1857. More peaceful burghers indulged in bed, inhaling the fragrance of fir needles and candles, and anticipating the joy of breakfast and morning newspaper, unaware of the fact that on the first page, it printed a decree of Kaiser Franz Iosofa the demolition of the ramparts, hitherto surrounded the city center. The purpose of this action - to give a more representative character of the capital, together with the core of Vienna suburbs."Ring" means "ring", but in fact, this avenue has a horseshoe shape, the sides of which go to the "tamed" Danube - "Danube Canal" (due to frequent floods in the years 1870-75 the channel of the Danube in the city was settled) . Certain parts of the Ringstrasse are their names: Parkring, Shubertring, Kerntnerring and so on. One possibility to reach eye panorama of the Ring - a trip on the tram, "1" or "2", plying on the route Ring - Kai (quay) - The Ring.
In the building of the boulevard were many architects, who sought to outdo each other in originality. The result is a conglomeration of different styles, once criticized as "a stylistic hodgepodge," over the years, however, asserted itself as its own "ring shtrassenstil" - Art History is replete with such examples. In the ring you will see many interesting buildings, we draw your attention to the most significant of them. Neo-Gothic Rathaus - Vienna City Hall - built in the years 1872-83 by Friedrich von Schmidt, the builder of the cathedral. Its central tower surmounted by a "town hall iron men", who became one of the symbols of Vienna. Prior to City Hall Park, decorated with fountains and sculptures of prominent Austrians, including Johann Strauss, father and Josef Lanner. Since November, the area in front of City Hall is decorated with a huge Christmas tree, Christmas market dominance, which entertained young and old. In summer the area is transformed into an outdoor theater, where the arts festivals, circus acts. Arranged around the souvenir stalls and different fare - crowns and guests receive the bread and circuses. Parliament (1873-83) built Dane Theophile Hansen. The architect for many years spent in Athens, which inspired him to draft in the Greek style. In front of a fountain with a statue of Pallas Athena.

Rathauz
Light Ring - his parks. The most popular - Stadtpark - City Park, which opened in 1862. Among the many monuments that adorn the park - a monument to the king of waltz Johann Strauss (the sculptor Edmund Helmer, 1923). On summer evenings in the park a band, and you can forget yourself in a crazy whirlwind of a charming sounds familiar since childhood music ... The oldest park of the Ring - Burggarten (1820), which is a continuation of the Hofburg. Its main adornment - a monument to Mozart (1896) by Victor Tilgnera. Volksgarten charming, National Park, in the Italian style. In the middle of the park called the Temple of Theseus, a copy of a Greek temple, built by architect Pietro Nobile for sculpture What are "Theseus slaying the Minotaur," which is now in the Kunsthistorisches Museum. In Folksgartene forever dreaming marble Empress Elizabeth. The proximity of the temple of Theseus reminds her of a favorite Greek ...
Walking in Vienna in its central part, you will certainly notice the building with a lacy golden dome. Interested in its history. In 1861, the Vienna Fellowship was founded by artists who gathered at the House of Artists, who served as a showroom. In 1898, nineteen artists who, like the Wanderers, disagreed with the conservative tendencies, then dominated in the fine arts, left the Association and the Society of Artists was founded under the motto: "Time - his art, the art - his freedom." Head of the "secessionists", "apostates", was Gustav Klimt. That same year, an outstanding representative of the "secessionists" Joseph Marie Olbrmh designed showroom, which became known as the "Secession". At the opening ceremony was attended by Franz Joseph.
SecessionIn 1985-86 the building was renovated. Funds for the gilt bronze dome of laurel leaves, then donated the U.S. ambassador to Austria, Ronald Lauder. During restoration, a new hall, which is now on display frieze by Gustav Klimt - artistic vision of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.In 1998, the year of the century "Secession", crowns, and many visitors to the capital experienced the shock of the new appearance of the building - from the snow-white, it turned into red. Fortunately, this metamorphosis is effected by the Swiss artist Markus Geiger, did not last long, and soon appeared again in the facades of the original white.

Boulevard_Ring_2 

Boulevard_Ring 

ratusha_Boulevard_Ring 

Sezession_Boulevard_Ring

VISBY, Visby ringmur

Written by Administrator

Posted on 07.04.12

PDFPrintE-mail

VISBY


 Visby ringmur

Фото 1. Городская крепостная стена. Швеция, ВисбюCity walls (Visby ringmur)

In 1288 for protection from enemies and riots around the city erected a fortress wall.

The total length of 3.4 kilometers of the wall, and the highest point - 11 meters.

Originally there were 29 terrestrial and 22 wall towers, ground today - 27.

The first wall was only about 6 feet in height.

The oldest part of the wall - this is the Powder Tower (Kruttornet), it was built in 1100-ies.

Sprundflaskan - this tower was built in the late 1300's or early 1400-ies.

Maiden's Tower (Jungfrutornet) - built in the 1400's, it served to defend the city from the sea.
From this tower linked local legend: the girl from the town of Visby in love with the Danish king and betrayed their city, to punish her immured alive in the tower itself, and since then it is called the Maiden.
Today we know that the towers did not yet exist, but nevertheless, the legend is played annually at the Festival of Medieval Week.
More she served in the Middle Ages as a prison for prostitutes.

Lubeckerbraschen - the so-called partially destroyed part of the wall where possible in 1525 the army stormed the city of Luebeck.

Langa Lisa - a tall tower with six floors.

Kajsartornet - this tower since the late 1600s and until 1850 was used as a prison. Now there is a prison museum.

The perimeter wall was reduced in the 1884-1886 years.


Фото 3. Городская крепостная стена. Швеция, Висбю           

Site Navigator

Free ads

 

Free ads in USA

News of our site

GOTEBORG Slottsskogsparken
GOTEBORG  Slottsskogsparken
GOTEBORGSlottsskogsparken Park, the Royal Palace (Slottsskogsparken) The park is located in the southwest part of town. The broad lawn, beech avenues, beautiful lakes and picturesque hills.In fact, a large lake there ...
Read More 2446 0

Marinmuseum, KARLSKRONA
Marinmuseum,  KARLSKRONA
 KARLSKRONA Marinmuseum Maritime Museum (Marinmuseum) History of the museum dates back to 1752. Since 1997, he settled on the island Stumholmen, which is east of downtown. The Maritime Museum is dedicated ...
Read More 3071 0

The museum presents the program "Golf-Wonderland"
The museum presents the program
The museum presents the program "Golf-Wonderland"Prospect Mira, All-Russian Exhibition Centre, CentralHall, Metro, "ENEA"In the museum, "Field-Wonderland", which is located in the central pavilion of the Exhibition Center,demonstrates ...
Read More 2739 0

KIVIK
KIVIK
Kivik - originally a fishing village, has turned into an exclusive resort with beautiful beaches and apple orchards. Kivik seaside village, surrounded by trees, is famous for its apple and pear cider, also developed production ...
Read More 3065 0

That Evening Sun
That Evening Sun
WILLIAM FAULKNER(1897-1962)Faulkner, sui generis. One of the unquestionably great writers of the twentieth century. The extraordinary range and versatility of his work—the brilliance of his formal experimentation—the very ...
Read More 4619 0