Graben_and_Kertner_Strass_1Graben and Kertner Strass

Graben in Russian means "moat." Once it was indeed a ditch outside the walls of a Roman camp, in the XIII century, there arose a market square, where stood the house in the Crusades wealthy through trade and the townspeople. The luxury of the past centuries was replaced by the current wealth. Today, the Graben and the adjacent streets are living, those who did not think about tomorrow.Inherited from the days of yesterday, they were able to multiply the resulting. The inhabitants of the Graben visit shops located in the first floor, where prices are sometimes several times the minimum wage by the Austrians. With the onset of cool weather starts Graben "parade fur" - elegant ladies "skip" their coats.


The main attraction of the Graben - "Pestzoyle" - "Plague Column", or Holy Trinity Column, erected in the reign of Leopold, and a reminder of the terrible epidemic of 1679 that killed tens of thousands of lives. At first it was a wooden tower, which in 1693 completed the Baroque hymn of stone, which you can contemplate, and which became the prototype of similar monuments in many cities in Austria. Not far from the fountain are two columns - "Yozefsbrunnen" and "Leopoldsbrunnen" relating to the XIX century and named after the most revered saints in Vienna.


Graben_and_Kertner_Strass_2Walking along the Graben, you will not miss the dome covered with a patina Peterskirche, an architectural monument of the XVIII century, with a lush interior.
It is interesting to see the nearby Mihalerkirhe, San-Marie-am-Geshtade, Frantsiskanerkirhe, neo-Gothic Town Hall (1872-1883 gg.), One of the most beautiful squares in the world - with Iozefplatts located on it, and the Palace Chapel Burgtheater (1874-1888 gg.), Building Parliament (1883), before which stands a statue of Pallas Athena, and the famous Vienna Opera House (1861-1869 gg.) - the venue for the cult of the annual Opera Ball.


Graben_and_Kertner_Strass_3In place of Kerntershtrasse in the old days the road lay to the south, one of the lands of Austria - Carinthia. Since 1974, this street, as well as the Graben, a pedestrian zone. In the evenings it is an open-air theater, where every five meters of artists and musicians from different countries show off their talents. The oldest surviving houses - Esterhazy Palace (1698), in which, after reconstruction of the casino and the most famous fashion salon "Adlmyuller." Do not forget to also visit the hotel "Sacher", remembering celebrities past and present celebrities who know, and buy one of the traditional Viennese souvenirs - branded chocolate cake, known throughout the world.