Belvedere and Karlskirche


Belvedere, which was built by Lucas von Hildebrandt as a summer residence for one of the greatest generals of his time Prince Eugene of Savoy, was once outside the city walls. After the death of Prince Palace went Habsburgs. At the beginning of the century there lived heir to the throne, Archduke Franz Ferdinand assassinated in Sarajevo in 1915.
Upper Belvedere Palace, a masterpiece of Hildebrandt, completed in 1722, served as the residence of the prince representative. In one of the state rooms of the palace, adorned with red marble, May 15, 1955 State Treaty was signed, ending the 10-year occupation of Austria. Today, in the halls of the Upper Belvedere Austrian Gallery is a collection of nineteenth and twentieth centuries, where you can see the most famous works by Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka, artists period "Biedermeier" and contemporary masters. As part of the palace in 1896, died composer Anton Bruckner.

The main attraction of the Graben - "Pestzoyle" - "Plague Column", or Holy Trinity Column, erected in the reign of Leopold, and a reminder of the terrible epidemic of 1679 that killed tens of thousands of lives. At first it was a wooden tower, which in 1693 completed the Baroque hymn of stone, which you can contemplate, and which became the prototype of similar monuments in many cities in Austria. Not far from the fountain are two columns - "Yozefsbrunnen" and "Leopoldsbrunnen" relating to the XIX century and named after the most revered saints in Vienna.

Residential Prince Eugene - in the Lower Belvedere, built in 1714-1716, respectively, where the Museum of the Baroque. In the former Orangery Lower Belvedere is open for viewing a collection of medieval Austrian art. Both the palace combines the exceptional beauty of the park, which inspired many artists, including Bernardo Belotto ("Canaletto").

To create the most perfect baroque church in Vienna Johann Bernhard worked Karlskirche Fischer von Erlach and his son Joseph Emanuel. The works were completed in 1739. The church - a tribute to Kaiser Karl VI of deliverance from the plague in 1713. The dome 72 meters in height of the church - one of the landmarks of Vienna's landscape. It is said that the idea of ​​the facade with two free-standing columns appeared in the head Fischer of Erlach, his father, when he watched the sunset at the Church of St. Peter and the Trojan Column in Rome, united in his fantasies into a coherent whole.