Riegersburg castle located in the southern part of Austria in the federal state of Styria, near the town of Riegersburg, over the creek Gratsbah. This is absolutely unassailable, raised on rock structure, always amazing.

The castle was once the southernmost outpost of Styria, and during World War II was a German stronghold. It is believed that the castle Riegersburg - one of the largest baroque castles in Austria.

Castle in the area began to build for about 1100 on the remains of volcanic rock 482 meters high. The oldest of extant buildings date from the early 12th century. Modern castle gained its appearance in the 17th century. Since 1822 the castle is owned by members of the princely family von Liechtenstein, the nearest heirs Messrs. von Riegersburg-Vildon - former owners of the castle.

Now Castle Riegersburg is a huge area of ​​15 hectares, surrounded by 3-km-long massive wall, with 11 bastions and seven powerful fortified gates. For the six gates begin residential and farm buildings. Here is the arsenal, which is now kept old weapons and military vehicles, which were once used to repel enemy attacks. For the second moat are the buildings of the castle. In fact, here is a few locks, the largest of which - medium - called Vildon. In castles, there are 108 different large and small spaces.

Interest and located in an old Gothic tower of the castle, the prince room with restored interior, knights' hall, equipped in a medieval style, the collection of ancient weapons, etc. In the dungeon of the castle in 12 rooms located Witch Museum, which revived the old bloody history. The building is one of the locks is a museum family of Liechtenstein.

In the inner courtyard of the castle is an ancient well, surrounded fanciful wrought-iron fence. In horseshoe pattern woven fences and, according to legend, who found it to be very successful in life.

Inside the walled area now are extensive vineyards that rent local winemakers.