Franciscan church in the city of Graz is one of the greatest and most significant buildings in the city. Most of all she is famous for its outstanding high tower. Besides, this is one of the oldest churches in Graz. It is located west of the city's central square, in the precincts of the UNESCO-protected historic center.

The base is the monastery and the first church building belongs to 1239. It was originally a monastery Minorite, but in 1515 it was transferred to the Franciscans. Building a high west tower with an unusual onion dome was completed in 1643.

Inside the Franciscan Church is a fairly large room with a ribbed vaulted ceiling. Chapel of St. James Church is separated from the rest of the room baroque bars. It dates back to 1650, and the altar - 1720 year. Unfortunately, the church was severely damaged during the Second World War and was significantly restored.

The interior of the church is very rich and the glint in the baroque style. There are many gilded moldings, lots of statues and paintings. The central altar is situated on a hill and dominates much of the interior.

It is noteworthy that in the main tower, the belfry of the church is one of the oldest bells in Graz - it dates from the 1272 year.

Franciscan Church 1

Franciscan Church 2

Franciscan Church 3

 

Church of St. Leonard

Church of St. Leonard is located north of the old historic city of Graz in Austria, in St. Leonard. It is a late-Gothic building with a baroque façade and modern outbuildings in the eastern part.

The first church on this site, dedicated to St. Leonard - the protector of cattle and horses - was built in 1361. And many of the surviving parts of the church belong to 1433. In the early 17th century the building was added to the bell tower. Interestingly, from then until the early 18th century the church was dedicated to two saints - Leonard and Mary. In the early 18th century, the chapel was completed, and the western facade and the portal dated 1775 year.

In the 19th century was carried out large-scale reconstruction of the church. It was here that the high central altar, two side altars and the Department. From 1959 to 1962 the church was expanded to the east - have additional space, but the Gothic arches of the church were mostly saved. New designs are supported by massive columns. In 1995 he was the last reconstruction of the church of St. Leonard's, and now it is open to the public.

Now the church is the original connection of multi buildings, which, however, looks very harmonious. Of the church is focused strictly on the east, near the entrance are two images of the Saints and Mary Leonard. On the right is from the Baroque Chapel of the baptismal font, to the left - side vestry for solitary prayer.

Further expanding the room to the side of the altar. The old neo-Gothic altar was not preserved, and in its place is the original octagonal chancel, surrounded by walls of stained glass. Crowned its conical roof, with ribs, inlaid wood.

Since the early 15th century cemetery near the church operates. It has a small chapel and interesting sculptures. Now it is no longer buried.

Church of St. Leonard 1

 

Church of St. Leonard 2

Church of St. Leonard 3 Church of St. Leonard 4