gototopgototop
  1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>


Vasilian Monastery

PDF Print Email

Written by Administrator

Posted on 17 July 2011

Vasilian Monastery

Vasilian Monastery on Mount Theodore appeared during 1751 - 1753 years from the initiative of Count Nicholas Potocki, founder Buchatskiy Hall. Back in 1712 his father, Stefan Potocki with the permission of the Archbishop of Lviv invited to Lithuania in Buchach Vasilian foundation for theological boarding school and seminary. A May 12, 1751 was laid the first stone for the construction of the monastery.

Бучач
The author of this project Monastery of the Holy Cross Order of St. Basil the Great was the architect I. Shyltser. The complex, which appeared on the site of the former Dominican church, consisted of kostelopodibnoyi Zdvyzhenskoyi church bell, body cells and body gymnasium. The project is a huge Church of Exaltation of the Cross, which was built during 1750 - 1570 years, attributed to architect Gottfried Hoffman - author of the restructuring Pochayiv Monastery, which was carried out by means of the same Nicholas Potocki.



The temple was built in late Baroque style. It is cruciform in plan. In the event graced with two towers p'yatyyarusni that make the whole church dominating the old city. Towers are decorated with pilasters and cornices. The interior remained a valuable iconostasis and six wooden sculptures made ​​by master Nicholas Filevych Lviv. The walls are decorated with pilasters with gilded Corinthian capitals, and tempera painting of the XVIII century on religious themes.




On both sides of the church, church buildings adjoining monastic cells. Cells older than the church: some sources date back to XVII century. They, unlike the church, have simplified decor and decorated with only shovels and windows, attic floor. They also cells for monks housed stables and kitchen. The oldest building is the left that ends with bell-tower with a spire.


When the monastery was a school-orphanage and seminary. In 1804 he founded a school here, among the teachers which were poets Julian Dobrylovskyy and Hilarion Grabowicz, biologist Semen Trush, and among the audience - well-known Polish and Ukrainian cultural and artistic figures. It was closed in 1944. In 1946 and eliminated the monastery. In 1991 the monastery resumed its activities and still belongs to the Greek Catholics - Basilian Fathers. Since 1995, the monastery has historical and philosophical Lyceum for future priests.


Emblem of the founders Potocki "Piliava":

 

 

Ukraine - West

Site Navigator

  1. Home
  2. Ukraine
  3. West
  4. Vasilian Monastery
Main
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
Moscow
Kaliningrad
Pskov
Vologda
Ukraine
lviv
Dnepropetrovsk
Crimea region
Uman
Kyiv
Odessa
Kolomiya
Chernivtsi
Ostrog
East Ukraine
West
United Kingdom
London
Edinburgh
Norfolk
Estonia
Denmark
Copenhagen
Aalborg
Odense
Billund (LegoLand)
Finland
Helsinki
Other recreational
Other cities info
Sweden
Stockholm
North of Sweden
Lapland
DALARNA
SCANE
East Coast and Islands
West Coast
Austria
Vienna
Am Hof ​​Square
Hofburg
Shtefanplatts and St. Stephen's Cathedral
Boulevard Ring
Graben and Kertner Strass
Belvedere and Karlskyrhe
Schönbrunn Palace
Parks of Vienna
Theaters and museums in Vienna
Vienna Arsenal
Hallstatt
The history of Hallstatt
Salzburg
Abbey of St. Peter
Mirabell Palace
Palace Helbrunn
Mozart's House Museum
Salzburg Cathedral
Dwelling house of Mozart
Salzburger Museum
Museum of Contemporary Art
The zoo
Castle Mauterndorf
Cave Eisriesenwelt
Old Town of Salzburg
Graz
Castle Schlossberg
Graz Cathedral
Burgh Castle
Church of St. Leonard
Mausoleum in Graz
Franciscan Church
Innsbruck
Alpine Zoo
Ambras Castle
Golden Roof
Cathedral of St. James
Tyrolean Museum
Triumphal Arch in Innsbruck
Museum "Swarovski Crystal Worlds"
Vilten basil
The Hofburg Imperial Palace
Linz
Old Cathedral in Linz
Castle of Linz
New Cathedral in Linz
Bad Ischl
Villa Lehar
Imperial Villa
Others
Esterhazy Castle
Benedictine Monastery
Castle Hartheim
Dachstein
Hochosterwitz Castle
Castle Hohenwerfen
Liechtenstein Castle
Bernstein castle
Basilica of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary
Semmering Railway
Most beautiful and famous castles in Austria
Castle Tratzberg
Castle Artshtetten
Castle Riegersburg
Fortress Forhtenshtayn
Australia
Adelaide
Botanic Gardens
National Wine Centre of Australia
Art Gallery of South Australia
Adelaide Zoo
South Australian Museum
Tandanya National Aboriginal Cultural Institute
Shark Bay
Monkey Mia
Alice Springs
Olive Pink Botanic Garden
Gallery Gondwana
Devils Marbles Conservation Reserve
Henbury Meteorites Conservation Reserve
Royal Flying Doctor Service
Aboriginal Australia Culture Center
The Central Australian Aviation Museum
The Museum of Central Australia
Watarrka National Park and King’s Canyon
National Pioneer Women’s Hall of Fame
Finke Gorge National Park
The Alice Springs Desert Park
Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
Araluen Centre for Arts and Entertainment
The Alice Springs Reptile Center
Sydney
Discover Sydney
The Australian Museum
The Australian Reptile Park
Sydney Tower
Argyle
Chinese Garden of Friendship
Sydney Observatory
IMAX Theatre
IMAX Theatre
St Mary's Cathedral
The Hunter Valley
Other countries
SITE MAP

Free ads

 

Free ads in USA

News of our site

Mikhailovsky (Engineers') Castle.
Mikhailovsky (Engineers') Castle.
Mikhailovsky (Engineers') Castle. Branch of the Russian MuseumAddress: 191186, St. Petersburg, Millionnaya. 5 / 1Phone: (812) 595-4248Mode of operation: Daily from 10.00 to 18.00, Monday 10.00 to 17.00, except on Tuesdays. ...
Read More 4169 0

Aquaria Vattenmuseum
Aquaria Vattenmuseum
Aquaria Vattenmuseum "Aquaria" located on the island of Djurgården. It is the smallest and most modern museum in Stockholm. In the room of the museum created a tropical forest. Here there is a hurricane of wind and storm, ...
Read More 3820 0

Odessa Archaeological Museum
Odessa Archaeological Museum
Odessa Archaeological Museum 4, st. Lanzheronovskaya Odessa 65026, Ukraine Tel.fax (0482) 1/22/71 e-mail: arhaeology@farlep.net mode of operation: 10.00 to 17.00 (day off - Monday) Odessa Archaeological Museum, one ...
Read More 3270 0

Adelaide Zoo
Adelaide Zoo
 Adelaide Zoo (Adelaide Zoo), founded in 1883 - one of the oldest zoos in Australia. Today, in an area of ​​8 hectares can be seen nearly 300 species of native and exotic animals (over 1800 individuals), including ...
Read More 4806 0

General Headquarters and Museum Guard
General Headquarters and Museum Guard
General Headquarters and Museum GuardLocation: St. Petersburg, Palace Square, 6-10Phone: (812) 571-34-65 The east wing of the General Staff building was transferred to the Hermitage in 1993. Previously, it was given under ...
Read More 4975 0