Am Hof Square
Am Hof Square
Area "Am Hof" - "In the court" - the center of time. For centuries it was the market, which sold lumber, coal, hay, straw, crayfish - a favorite delicacy of the Middle Ages, bread. Fierce sign of the times - death - is also produced in this area. In the center you will see "Marienzoyle" - a column in honor of the Virgin Mary, a monument to the Thirty Years' War. In 1645 the Swedes under Marshal Torstensson rushed into the valley of the Danube. Many cities and fortresses were destroyed and conquered. Vienna in serious danger: there was no army capable of defending the city, the townspeople sympathetic to the Protestant religion Swedes. In this desperate situation, Emperor Ferdinand III gave a religious ceremony, and promised that if Vienna would be saved, it will set up an area of a column in honor of the Virgin Mary Mother of God.
No attempt to conquer the city, Torstensson withdrew his troops, and in 1646 the monument was ready. In 1667, the son of Emperor Ferdinand Leopold ordered to dismantle a stone monument, which was replaced by a bronze copy. The original was moved to the city Vernshtayn, where he is to this day.
Among the historic buildings on the square are the church and the Zeughaus. The church "Am Hof", or the Church of the Nine Choirs of angels, was built between 1386 and 1403 years in this place is the chapel.
In the XVII century (1607-1610) was a Baroque interior of its decoration, in 1662, there was a amazing beautiful Baroque facade. At Easter in 1782 Pope Pius VI blessed with a choir of this church congregation gathered. August 6, 1806 in the church, it was announced that the Emperor Franz 1 resign the crown of the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation.The former "City Zeughaus" stored weapons that were issued to citizens in the event of an attack on Vienna. The building, constructed in 1550, after numerous changes have been completed in 1731-32, respectively.