Abbey of St. Peter
St. Peter's Abbey, located in Salzburg, is considered to be the oldest monastery in the German-speaking part of Europe. Some call it the oldest, continuously operating, the monastery to the north of the Alps.
The monastery was founded at this place was still in 696 by Saint Rupert, as evidenced by written records of the time. Up to 987, the abbot of the monastery of St. Peter was also the Bishop of Salzburg. Abbey had a huge impact in the city and the region in 1622 when it organized the first local university. At this point, the Abbey of St. Peter is one of the largest landowners in the city and region.
Church of St. Peter - home to the Abbey was first built here during the formation of the monastery. From the original church is now preserved only in the first floor of West Tower building. The current church was built here in the early 12th century and was a Roman basilica. As a result, numerous modifications and renovations, it has acquired the features of the Baroque and Rococo. Now it is one of the richest and most magnificent churches of Salzburg.
Basically, the nave of the church, under the main altar, stores the original tomb of St. Rupert, and his remains. On the right side of the temple lies the tomb of another St. Vitalis. She, like the main altar of the church, made of red marble.
Painting of the central altar, and the 16 side altars made by the artist Johann Martin Schmidt. Preserved here and a wonderful statue of the Madonna of the 15th century. Moldings made Zepfom Benedict in 1768. In the side chapels can be seen a number of more modern paintings.
At the Abbey of St. Peter's has one of the oldest libraries in the country. The library building was decorated in the rococo style in 1768. Now it houses more than 100,000 copies of books, but they are not easy accessible to the public.
It is interesting and well-known, very beautiful and picturesque cemetery, located next to the monastery. It is decorated with Romanesque and Gothic chapels, monuments, and wrought iron fence. The oldest graves date back to 803 a year.
It was in this church in 1783, first heard the famous Mozart's Mass in B minor, and the composer often conducted by local choir and orchestra and played the organ.