In 1288 for protection from enemies and riots around the city erected a fortress wall.
The total length of 3.4 kilometers of the wall, and the highest point - 11 meters.
Originally there were 29 terrestrial and 22 wall towers, ground today - 27.
The first wall was only about 6 feet in height.
The oldest part of the wall - this is the Powder Tower (Kruttornet), it was built in 1100-ies.
Sprundflaskan - this tower was built in the late 1300's or early 1400-ies.
Maiden's Tower (Jungfrutornet) - built in the 1400's, it served to defend the city from the sea.
From this tower linked local legend: the girl from the town of Visby in love with the Danish king and betrayed their city, to punish her immured alive in the tower itself, and since then it is called the Maiden.
Today we know that the towers did not yet exist, but nevertheless, the legend is played annually at the Festival of Medieval Week.
More she served in the Middle Ages as a prison for prostitutes.
Lubeckerbraschen - the so-called partially destroyed part of the wall where possible in 1525 the army stormed the city of Luebeck.
Langa Lisa - a tall tower with six floors.
Kajsartornet - this tower since the late 1600s and until 1850 was used as a prison. Now there is a prison museum.
The perimeter wall was reduced in the 1884-1886 years.
Sweden - East Coast and Islands
Kalmar Castle (Kalmar slott)
The history of construction of the castle takes its origins from the end of 1100. Initially defensive tower was built, enclosed by a wooden palisade, and then in 1280-ies were built more towers and fortified stone walls around the central tower, then up to the 16th century, work continued on the expansion of the castle.
Major construction work to expand and develop the castle come to 1337, at the time of Magnus Eriksson.
In 1545 King Gustav Vasa wanted to completely rebuild the castle for a new way of fortification art.
The premises of the castle fascinate and delight.
In the Tower of the King - Chamber of King Erik XIV - one of the most beautiful rooms in the castle: the walls are decorated with wood paneling and the ceiling is a magnificent frieze, made of plaster.
Green Hall was built for King Johan III in the northern wing of the castle in the 1550s.
In the 1580s the hall was decorated with a gilded ceiling and rich paneling of the walls, since they have been held royal receptions.
In 1592 the south wing of the castle was built a chapel. In the chapel are preserved the bench of the 17th century, decorated with monograms of Gustav II Adolf and Queen Mary Eleanor, pulpit and altar of the 18th century. There are still held weekly services, and the chapel is popular as a venue for wedding ceremonies.
Throughout its history the castle was besieged 22 times. During the 1611-1613 Kalmar War years, he was captured by the Danes.
In 1397, within its walls was signed by the Kalmar Union.
In the late 17th century the castle was used as a warehouse, in 1780 it was set up a brewery, and until 1852 the castle was used as a prison.
At this time, the lock operates as a museum, showing visitors historic interiors and objects.