The first permanent
The first permanent municipal theater was founded in Lviv in 1776.
The first professional theater was officially opened in 1776. The German theater company was managed by Franz Gettersdorf, and included actors and singers, a small choir, and an orchestra. The Company staged all kinds of theatrical genres: operas, operettas, comedies, pantomimes, and ballets. The actors took possession of a reconstructed theater, which had formerly been a Roman Catholic Church belonging to the Franciscan Monastery, and had been abolished by a decree issued by Kaiser Joseph II. It was situated in Teatralna Street not far from the present-day Secondary School No. 62. The creative center of theatrical life remained in this building until 1843, when the Skarbivsky Theater was built. It is now known as the Maria Zankovetska Theater.