1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Castle in selі Svіrzh

PDF Print Email

Written by Administrator

Posted on 22 November 2011

Last Updated 22 November 2011

Article Index
Castle in selі Svіrzh
All Pages

Also known as:

- Svіrzky castle (in Ukrainian), Svіrzhsky castle (in Ukrainian)

- Castle in selі Svіrzh (Ukrainian), Zamek w Świrzu (pol.)

The first phase of construction: second half of the 15th century (?)

The last stage of construction: the end of the 1970s-1980s

The settlement was founded in the hills on the left bank of the river Svirzh, left tributary of the Dniester. As a place to build a building was selected an isolated hill, which had a good natural protection. This hill was anciently known as "Belz". Access to the future, not only hindered the strengthening of the steep slopes of hills, and all kinds of lakes, ponds and shallow marshes that surrounded the hill with several parties. The most reliable zamchische was covered by natural barriers from the north, east and west. South side (floor) was the most accessible to attack by the enemy. Because this part was later built the most powerful part of the castle fortifications, and to compensate for the weakness of the natural protection on that side had been dug a deep ditch. By the early period of history Svirzh, namely the 15th century, decided to attribute the appearance in the vicinity of the castle hill of fish pond, created by the overlap of the river dikes. Reservoirs rounded hill circle and, to a large extent, increased the defensive fortifications. Levees and locks properly operated until 1880, then declined.

1416. Most researchers attribute the first mention of Svirzh to 1427, but the magazine «Spotkania Świrzan», touching on their pages Svirzh history, leads still earlier date - 1416, to which the reference settlement, then bore the name Szwyrzcz. Later this name repeatedly transformed.

1427. If not the first, then exactly one of the earliest mentions of Svirzh, who then visited the Polish King Vladislav II Jagiello (1351 - 1434). Even then Svirzh was a significant settlement.

1443. Svirzh referred to as the property of Nicholas Romanovsky. Members of the genus Romanov - the first known private owners Svirzh. About them virtually nothing is known, however, some researchers believe that even when they might arise in Svirzh first fortifications on Castle Hill. It has been suggested that the ruins of a lonely tower, located in the southeastern part of zamchischa, the ditch could be related back to the period when the Romanov rulers were Svirzh. However, this bold version still has the status of hypotheses, most researchers still tend to attribute the construction of the castle to a later period, when the settlement came under the authority Svirzhsky kind.

September 22, 1449. Svirzh mentioned in written sources, in connection with a demarcation of the territory are the towns and villages, which indicates a significant area of ​​growing populations.

1456. Mention Svirzh whose owner at the time was Martin Romanovsky.

End of 15 - first half of the 17th century. The settlement goes into the possession of Svirzhsky kind. During this period Svirzh had city status. Under the authority of the city was Svirzhsky about 150-160 years, until the mid-17th century.

It is considered that Svirzh got its name from the name of Svirzhsky kind, but there was a settlement before the moment has passed under the authority of the said kind, and even then it was called, consonant with the word "Svirzh." It has been suggested that the name of the settlement gave the same name river, in whose name, incidentally, some researchers see the Slavic root "Svir" or "Svir" meaning sound, something in the spirit of the whistle, squeak or rustle. Perhaps in ancient times the river was not Svirzh so quiet, as it is today, may sound, which gave her water and gave the name of the river, then gave the name of the settlement, and only then, on this basis, the genus name Svirzhsky born. Since Svirzhsky took them just a name, we can conclude that Svirzh was their main residence.

Second half of the 15th century. As noted above, is not known exactly when Svirzh built the first castle. We only know that the first castle was designed almost exclusively for defense, and a comfortable residence features have been relegated to second or even a third plan. Most researchers believe that the construction unfolded at Svirzhsky, but, rather, in the period when the settlement was ruled by brothers Andrew (Andrzej) and Martin. On the basis of archaeological surveys of the castle, it was concluded that the brothers Svirzhsky during this period was built in Svirzh first stone fortifications. Early castle was square in shape with sides approximately 52h52 meters. At the ends of the building were two towers, of which only one (Western) survives to this day. The presence of the second tower told the remains symmetrical in terms of the structure with thick walls at the east tower and the remnants of the southern facade. Probably the east tower was dismantled during the subsequent large-scale restructuring of the castle in the 17th century. From other buildings of the old castle have survived only fragments of the walls of the lower tiers. Three sides of the castle protected by natural barriers from the fourth most accessible, was dug a deep ditch. On this early stage of construction of the castle there is no information in historical sources, so look first to reconstruct the strongholds only on the basis of materials of excavations and research-preserved complex of buildings. In addition to the castle and brothers founded in Svirzh Roman Catholic diocese in 1481.

1484. The very first known written mention of the castle. Previously, of course, Svirzh met several times in written sources, but there was mentioned a settlement as a whole, rather than its individual architectural objects.

1492. At this year have another early mention of the castle.

Svirzh Castle - the date 1530 on the north portal

1530. Survived the first evidence of one of the stages of reconstruction of the castle - the Tower at the gate of the courtyard, above the opening goal, on a stone slab carved the date "1530." These dates are often recorded the completion of some important stages in the formation of architectural complexes. Probably in 1530 ended an important phase of the restructuring and modernization of the castle fortifications. This information is especially valuable because of the fate of the castle in the 16th century, virtually nothing is known.

Ukraine - Lviv

Site Navigator

  1. Home
  2. Ukraine
  3. lviv
  4. Castle in selі Svіrzh
Crimea region
East Ukraine
United Kingdom
Billund (LegoLand)
Other recreational
Other cities info
North of Sweden
East Coast and Islands
West Coast
Am Hof ​​Square
Shtefanplatts and St. Stephen's Cathedral
Boulevard Ring
Graben and Kertner Strass
Belvedere and Karlskyrhe
Schönbrunn Palace
Parks of Vienna
Theaters and museums in Vienna
Vienna Arsenal
The history of Hallstatt
Abbey of St. Peter
Mirabell Palace
Palace Helbrunn
Mozart's House Museum
Salzburg Cathedral
Dwelling house of Mozart
Salzburger Museum
Museum of Contemporary Art
The zoo
Castle Mauterndorf
Cave Eisriesenwelt
Old Town of Salzburg
Castle Schlossberg
Graz Cathedral
Burgh Castle
Church of St. Leonard
Mausoleum in Graz
Franciscan Church
Alpine Zoo
Ambras Castle
Golden Roof
Cathedral of St. James
Tyrolean Museum
Triumphal Arch in Innsbruck
Museum "Swarovski Crystal Worlds"
Vilten basil
The Hofburg Imperial Palace
Old Cathedral in Linz
Castle of Linz
New Cathedral in Linz
Bad Ischl
Villa Lehar
Imperial Villa
Esterhazy Castle
Benedictine Monastery
Castle Hartheim
Hochosterwitz Castle
Castle Hohenwerfen
Liechtenstein Castle
Bernstein castle
Basilica of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary
Semmering Railway
Most beautiful and famous castles in Austria
Castle Tratzberg
Castle Artshtetten
Castle Riegersburg
Fortress Forhtenshtayn
Botanic Gardens
National Wine Centre of Australia
Art Gallery of South Australia
Adelaide Zoo
South Australian Museum
Tandanya National Aboriginal Cultural Institute
Shark Bay
Monkey Mia
Alice Springs
Olive Pink Botanic Garden
Gallery Gondwana
Devils Marbles Conservation Reserve
Henbury Meteorites Conservation Reserve
Royal Flying Doctor Service
Aboriginal Australia Culture Center
The Central Australian Aviation Museum
The Museum of Central Australia
Watarrka National Park and King’s Canyon
National Pioneer Women’s Hall of Fame
Finke Gorge National Park
The Alice Springs Desert Park
Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
Araluen Centre for Arts and Entertainment
The Alice Springs Reptile Center
Discover Sydney
The Australian Museum
The Australian Reptile Park
Sydney Tower
Chinese Garden of Friendship
Sydney Observatory
IMAX Theatre
IMAX Theatre
St Mary's Cathedral
The Hunter Valley
Other countries

Free ads


Free ads in USA

News of our site

Malmo moske
Malmo moske
MALMOMalmo moske Cathedral Mosque (Malmo моске) Malmö mosque - one of the main mosques in Sweden. Construction began in April 1983. Was opened in 1984 as the first mosque in Scandinavia. Adjacent to the mosque, ...
Read More 4071 0

Tyrolean Museum
Tyrolean Museum
  Originally a collection of Tyrol museum, which is also called Ferdinandeum, created by gifts and donations. A few years after the opening of the museum works of art were unsubscribed museum near Wills - so in the museum ...
Read More 3531 0

LEGOREDO TownCity Legoredo - a corner of the Wild West in the peace Legoland. The city is filled with the atmosphere of the conquest of America's open spaces that complement ...
Read More 3025 0

Title:      OrlandoAuthor:     Virginia WoolfPREFACE.Many friends have helped me in writing this book. Some are dead and soillustrious that I scarcely dare name them, yet no one can read or writewithout being perpetually ...
Read More 2586 0

Lulea Domkyrka
Lulea Domkyrka
LULEA Lulea Domkyrka Lulea Cathedral (Lulea Domkyrka) After a fire in 1887 destroyed most of the buildings, the city rebuilt anew, including the church was built in the Gothic Revival style, has received during the consecration, ...
Read More 3344 0