The museum was built in 2000 in g.Kolomyya. The central part of the museum has the form of egg height of 14 meters. This is the only museum in the world egg painting ...
Architectural structure in the form of the world's largest egg eggs was visiting card Kolomyja.
A unique museum Eggs attracts visitors from all countries.
The grand opening of the museum "Easter egg" on 23 September 2000, during the X International Hutsul festival.
Concept of the museum director, I developed roslava Tkachuk, and implemented the Kolomyia artists Vasily Andrushko and Miroslav Yasinsky. Museum perpetuates the statue of the Virgin of local sculptor Roman Zakharchuk.
The uniqueness of the Museum not only because it is made in the form of eggs, whose height is 14 meters, diameter - 10. The room is made entirely of stained glass, stained glass is the total area of 600 square meters. By the way, it has no roof! Exterior finish is made in three-dimensional space.
The exposition displays ornamental, composite, colorful richness of folk polychrome graphics.
Now the museum has a collection of over 6,000 Easter eggs represented the majority of regions of Ukraine (Ternopil, Lviv, Vinnytsia, Cherkasy, Kirovograd, Odessa), and also from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Belarus, Poland, Czech Republic, Sweden, USA, Canada, France and India. Some exhibits have been made yet on the border of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Kolomiya is a nice town with expressive Austria-Hungarian character of architecture. Take a chance to walk along Kolomiya’s tight streets during several hours and you’ll going to fine yourselves in another century. Combination of different architectural schools, the modern and historicism that is the way how town has received its today’s looks.
Kolomiya is an ancient town; it was described in Galitsko-Volinska chronicle in 1241. Once there was a fortress on a mountain above the Black Potok River. This fortress was ruined like the similar citadels in Chernivtsi and Obertin, a Mongolian invasion has come in the country, ravaged the towns and ruined castles. This castle was reconstructed only during Polish domination (Kolomiya joined Rech Pospolita in the middle of 16th century). But now the building was situated not on the hill, but in the district of contemporary Kolomiya town hall. It was so called “Old yard”. In 1405 the town received The Magdeburg right, and in 6 years after here Volokhs were the bosses here: the town and the whole Pokuttya were sold on 25 years to Moldavian landlord Alexander – as farm out for his promise to support Poland against neighboring Hungary. It was diplomatic games, where the town dwellers played the roles of pawns.
In 1490 the Kolomiya castle fell down after fight with 10000 rebels under the command of Ivan Mukha. And the next 100 years were the hardest in Kolomiya’s history. Every year the contingents of Tatars, Turks and Volokhs plundered the town. There were also fires in 1502, 1505, 1513, 1520, 1531, 1589, and 1594. It’s no wonder that almost nothing has left from that times – only a wooden church and a cemetery. In 1612 the Turks and Tatars attacked Pokuttya thrice and there were 4 attacks in 1618.
But every time the town was restored as a phoenix, gradually receding from the Prut River, which is storming in a spring time. The third in Kolomiya’s history castle is built on the hill protected by a pond, where the city grammar school later will be placed.
The Rinok square in that time was a biggest vacant site with a town hall in the middle of it. In 1865 the fire destroyed the whole downtown of Kolomiya. In 1877 the town authorities built a new town hall and they selected an unusual location for this purpose: in a corner.
There is no other town council in Ukraine which would stand in a half-turn to the main area. On that place where a town hall should stand - by tradition – they have constructed houses for people, who had lost their houses in a fire.
A German colony appeared in the suburb of the town in 1781, nowadays a Protestant Church reminds of it. The railway Lvov-Chernivtsy ran across Kolomiya in 1866.
Like many other Carpathian towns, Kolomiya was making its money on salt. They were selling salt, which was obtained in near-by villages. There were 50 salt-workers in Kolomiya in 1565. And also the town was a transit point on a way to Lvov or Kiev. The town enjoyed exclusive privileges which forbade merchants under threat of loss of commodity to trade in villages, and they were obliged to sell their goods in Kolomiya exceptionally. Moreover, it was categorically forbidden for merchants to pass Kolomiya aside.
The 20th century has brought many changes to Kolomiya. On the 15th of December, 1918 the town send the 3-d Kolomiya kuren to the front. Hundreds of town dwellers have gone as volunteers in UGA. Since September, 1939 Kolomiya became a part of Soviet Ukraine. Then there was the Second World War. On the 28th of March, 1944 the Soviet Armies released Kolomiya.
The town again memorized how to reconstruct and live farther. Kolomiya has returned itself glory of industrial city, although their main riches weren’t salt: machine-building enterprises, factory of hutting, window curtains, bristle and paper factories, worked in town. A professional theater works - and it in the town with population of 60 000! The Folk house was given back to a town. There also are the Museum of Gutsul’schina Folk Art, Museum of Pisanka (as a unique pisanka-house having of height 13 m.), and museum of Kolomiya’s history. The town looks
very European and clean. The name of the town was perpetuated by kolomyyki - merry verses which are sang with furious speed in Pokuttya for hundreds of years