VISBY, Sankta Maria domkyrka
Cathedral of Saint Mary (Sankta Maria domkyrka)
This is the only surviving medieval cathedral and acting in Visby.
Construction began in the 12th century and was completed in 1225.
July 27, 1225 the church was consecrated in the name of St. Mary Bishop Berngtom Magnusson of Linköping.
Initially, the church was a Romanesque basilica with an apse, transept and the western tower. Next were constructed choruses, two towers on the east side of the building.
In 1572 the Church of St. Mary's has received the status of a cathedral.
In 1802 the temple was in a deplorable state, including the roof and the ceilings were so rotten, that represented a danger to people.
Some shortcomings were eliminated in subsequent years.
In 1816 the restoration, which could not be completed due to lack of funds.
Overhaul took place in 1831-1832, respectively. Further, the cathedral was repaired in 1890-1893, respectively.
At the beginning of 1900 was held outside the restoration by architect Axel Hermann Haqq, the task of restoring the cathedral was to give color to the medieval church.
The main body of the Cathedral is set in 1892.
Department in 1684.