Aalborg (dat. Ålborg) - the fourth largest city in Denmark, is located on Limforde in North Jutland and is a major industrial, commercial and scientific center of the country.
The city was founded around 1000-1200 years ago. The first mention of Aalborg under its initial name Alabai (or Aleb, "inhabited place near a stream") appears on the coin, dated 1040 year. Even in the Middle Ages, thanks to its geographical position, Aalborg was an important harbor and trading place. Today the city is known for its industry (food, textile, chemical, cement). Among the largest companies may be mentioned Aalborg Siemens Wind Power A / S, De Danske Spritfabrikker etc. Aalborg - a major seaport with developed shipbuilding and fishing. The city has its own airport, railway junction, Aalborg University (founded 1974), as well as military air base.
Aalborg historic atmosphere of the city is reflected in its old streets and alleys. Near the Church of Our Lady are many beautiful buildings, many of which date from the XVI century. From the point of interest worth mentioning Aalborg Castle, the former Town Hall, a six-story mansion Jens Bang, built in 1624 in Renaissance style, the cathedral Budof Domkirke, Monastery of the Holy Spirit. Be sure to visit Lindholm Hoye - authentic Viking cemetery, located near Aalborg and is the most important monument of the Viking Age.
Aalborg Aalborg, which is home to over 160 thousand people, is a good destination for fans of attractions with its many hotels, restaurants and varied nightlife. In the center there is an exact copy of the famous Tivoli Gardens, however, inferior in size razvlechey Copenhagen park. Zoo, which is the second largest in Scandinavia, located 4 km from Aalborg. On the northern coast of Jutland are naiblee picturesque beaches in Northern Europe.
In Aalborg, held the largest carnival in Northern Europe, where every year is attended by about 25 thousand people and more than 100 thousand spectators. At the same time, anyone can participate in the parade.
Hoye Lindholm (Lindholm Høje) - one of the most important ancient sites in Denmark. In VI-XII centuries. there was a large settlement of the Vikings. An extensive exhibition of the Lindholm Jolla, Aalborg Historical Museum opened in 1992, tells the story of Denmark, the era of state formation, daily life and death of the Vikings. The original findings are presented together with the reconstruction, panoramas, illustrations, maps and texts, which give a general idea and the opportunity for more in-depth study. Near the museum is a true Viking cemetery.
Hoye Lindholm (Lindholm Hoje) - one of the most important ancient sites in Denmark. Back in 1889 it became known that on the southern slope (Voerbjerg - then known as Upland) is a cemetery with cremated burials, enclosed by stones.
In the 1952-1958 years. excavations were carried out, resulting in the plot was discovered by the Viking Age, associated, as well as a large part of the settlement, a cemetery burial. Upon completion of the excavation of the site was planted with grass.
Since ancient times, these hills were covered with a layer of loose sand with thickness up to 4 meters, and only thanks to the excavations it became possible to see the area as such. But if moving the sand carried by the wind, was not there, the stones seem to have been shifted up and return an impressive monument, we would have only fragments of bone, bronze and glass.
The burial site was used for nearly 600 years, from about 400 to 1000. BC The oldest graves are located on a hilltop, the youngest - at its base. Some of the graves (41) looked like the usual burial, not fenced with stones. The remaining nearly 700 graves in the Lindholm Hoye - cremated, and the people who died were cremated at the site of burial by the funeral pyres. Most of the graves surrounded by stones that lie in different forms - the triangular, oval, and in the form of ships. There are also burial mounds covered, or not marked in any way.
You can see the separation of burials by gender - men often were buried in the surrounding rocks and the triangular shape of ships, while the female burials - mostly oval and round shapes.
Archaeological finds show that Lindholm Hoye was not just an ordinary farming village, but had a high position in the hierarchy of villages.
Click image to enlarge We are aware of two villages in the Lindholm Hoye. Perhaps this could be one and the same village in the process of its development. However, both these phases, as we know, do not cover the entire period, during which used the grave site. Were excavated north of the village cemetery and the site with wells, long and Shaft houses. We do not know the exact extent of the village, but it took many thousands of square meters. We also do not know how many farms owned by the village. On the other hand, we can see that some farms were rebuilt several times.Each farm in a village surrounded by a palisade, and included a long house with external and Shaft houses or small workers' huts.
The entire area is found a large number of pottery, bones, fragments of various handicrafts, which shows that the village functioned for 200 years, between 700-900 years. BC
The burial site is completely covered with loose sand just before 1000 AD At the same time, a village in the Lindholm Hoye moved again and settled down on top of the dunes, shifting sands over the place of burial. This village is also served more than 1,000 square meters, of which only a portion has been excavated. Findings of this part show that the village was settled about 1000 BCand in the 12th century. After this settlement in the Lindholm Hoye ceased to exist. There are scattered small stones and concrete blocks in the grave, and to the east of it - the hole on the fence or poles.
Click image for larger south of the burial site at the foot of a hill, recently under a meter of loose sand, it was found a plowed field. This field is the Vikings and the most amazing thing is that it has been plowed with a plow blade - plow that could turn the soil. This field Lindholm Hoye demonstrates that a new type of plow was used in Denmark in the Viking Age. Weeds and manure from the farm yard manure were used for the field, thus harvest ranged from 12 to 20 pens, instead of the usual three or four.
In connection with its centennial celebration in 1989, Portland Cement Factory, the city of Aalborg has presented a new museum building in the Lindholm Hoye. In 1992 Aalborg Historical Museum has opened an extensive exposition of the Lindholm Hoye in the new building of the museum, having carried out, thus cherished dream.
The exhibition shows how the village looked for centuries, as its inhabitants are dressed, how they were treated soil, which animals were kept and how to manage a number of everyday affairs.
The exhibition also tells about life outside the village, namely, what took place in the history of Denmark in the era of statehood. The original findings are presented together with the reconstruction, panoramas, illustrations, maps and texts, which give a general idea and the opportunity for more in-depth study.
September 3, 2008 in the building Lindholm Hoye opened a new exhibit dedicated to archaeological findings in Denmark. At the opening ceremony attended by Queen Margrethe II.